Update: this flight sold out in 10 minutes earlier today.
Qantas will test interest in border-and-passport-free scenic flights by operating a seven-hour flight from Sydney that includes low level flybys of unique Australian destinations such as the Great Barrier Reef, Uluru, Kata Tjuta, Byron Bay and iconic Sydney Harbour.
The ‘Great Southern Land’ scenic flight will use one of Qantas’ new B787 Dreamliner aircraft usually reserved for long haul international flights, with the biggest windows on any passenger aircraft.
Flight QF787 will depart Sydney Domestic Airport (T3) on Saturday 10 October 2020, with tickets sold as follows:
- six tickets in business class at $3,787 each (earn 10,000 Qantas Points plus 160 Status Credits)
- 24 tickets in premium economy at $1,787 each (earn 5,000 Qantas Points plus 80 Status Credits)
- 104 tickets in economy available at $787 each (earn 2,400 Qantas Points plus 40 Status Credits)
Seats are on sale from midday today, Thursday 17 September, and will probably sell out quickly.
Qantas recommends that you select your seat when making your booking so you can choose the seat that suits you. Seat swapping isn’t permitted and window seats are expected to sell quickly. Also, classic upgrades aren’t available.
Here’s what to expect on the day: you’ll depart from Sydney and fly up the New South Wales coast before crossing the Queensland border for a flyby of the Gold Coast and then up the Queensland coast to the Great Barrier Reef. The aircraft will then track across Australia to do low level flybys of Uluru and Kata Tjuta before heading back to Sydney for a late afternoon flyover of Sydney Harbour and Bondi Beach.
- Pre-flight breakfast in the Sydney Domestic Qantas Business Lounge from 8am before a 10.30am flight departure.
- Exclusive opportunity to participate in a live auction of original and limited Qantas 747 memorabilia as well as 787 Flight Simulator sessions
- Lunch menu designed by Neil Perry
- Surprise celebrity host MC and entertainment
- Commemorative flight certificate
- Qantas Business pyjamas and an amenity kit
- Gift bag.
For more information, check out Qantas’ website here.
To get tips like this delivered straight to your inbox, subscribe to our newsletter: