Customer notice: we may receive a commission from Amex if you apply for a card via a link in this article (read more in our Cards Disclosure). This income helps keep the site running, and we thank you for your support.
The American Express Platinum Card
takes pride of place at the front of my wallet, as it does for so many other card enthusiasts I know, for one simple reason: when it comes to delivering rewards and benefits, no other card on the market comes close.
From access to exclusive events and experiences, to premium hotel and air travel perks, a top-notch rewards program and more, the Platinum Card offers compelling value, even with a $1,450 annual fee (the value of the benefits can be triple that amount each year).
As this is a charge card, it has no pre-set spending limit. Instead, you have a dynamic limit that responds to your spending patterns over time. The balance must be paid in full each month.
For a limited time, new Card Members can receive a massive 250,000 bonus Membership Rewards points and a $500 credit when you apply online via our Amex partner link
by 28 February 2022, are approved and spend $5,000 on your new card within the first 3 months.
250k points can be used for a range of redemptions including $1,250 back to your account or 125,000 frequent flyer points with multiple airlines including Qantas.
Here’s an overview of the card benefits you can enjoy.
Earn points quickly and enjoy flexible rewards
The card rewards program, Membership Rewards, has a stellar reputation among loyalty program experts and is my favourite for earning and spending points.
Platinum Card Members earn a very strong 2.25 Membership Rewards points per $1 spent on purchases (1 point per $1 spent with government bodies), which is uncapped.
In addition, as part of Amex’s current Shop Small promotion, you can earn an extra 3 points per $1 spent with small merchants until 31 March 2022, up to 40,000 extra points. Simply save the “Shop Small” offer via the Amex app or online when you receive your card.
What I especially love about Membership Rewards points is that they are very easy to spend on a variety of rewards. You can use them to pay for card purchases, shop with David Jones, buy a range of gift cards or pay for travel with American Express Travel. With these redemptions, you get $50 of value per 10,000 points redeemed – which is excellent value.
You can also transfer Membership Rewards points to two hotel loyalty programs (Marriott Bonvoy and Hilton Honors) and a range of airline frequent flyer programs, including both Qantas and Virgin Australia (a very rare feature among cards in Australia).
The full list of airline partners includes:
- Qantas Frequent Flyer
- Virgin Australia Velocity Frequent Flyer
- Etihad Guest
- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
- Malaysia Airlines Enrich
- Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus
- Air New Zealand Airpoints
- Virgin Atlantic Flying Club.
Choose from 10 airline transfer partners including Qantas
2 Membership Rewards points convert to 1 airline frequent flyer point with all partner airlines except Air New Zealand, where 200 Membership Rewards points converts to 1 Airpoints Dollar.
Experience valuable benefits with top hotels
You’ll gain elite status with major hotel loyalty programs, including:
- Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status – Marriott is the world’s biggest hotel group with brands such as Sheraton, Westin and Aloft
- Hilton Honors Gold status – in addition to Hilton hotels, you can also enjoy perks with brands like Waldorf Astoria, Conrad and Doubletree
- Radisson Rewards Gold status with Radisson Hotel Group
- Accor Elite Silver status (via your complimentary Accor Plus membership – see below) – Accor includes brands like Sofitel, Pullman and Mercure.
Elite benefits vary from program to program and can include complimentary room upgrades at check-in, early and/or late checkout, complimentary internet access, and free breakfast.
When I put my Hilton Gold status to the test during a 2018 trip to Tokyo, I scored over $1000 of complimentary benefits including an upgrade to a club room and free breakfast for two people. You can read about that experience here.
You’ll also receive complimentary Accor Plus membership valued at $399 p.a., which grants access to the most expansive hotel, dining and lifestyle membership program in Asia Pacific. Benefits include a complimentary night’s accommodation each year (including at high-end hotels like Sofitel and Fairmont, subject to availability), up to 50% off your dining bill at hotel restaurants, and more.
You also get access to the American Express Fine Hotels + Resorts program, which provides complimentary benefits at over 1,000 five-star properties worldwide, including daily breakfast for two people, guaranteed 4pm late checkout, room upgrades when available, a special amenity at each property, and more. These benefits offer an average value of over $700 for a two-night stay. When I tried this out during a trip to Vienna in 2018, my family scored over 600 Euros of benefits.
Enjoy complimentary room upgrades and other benefits at stylish hotels
Finally, the Amex Hotel Collection includes more than 500 properties in over 30 countries, including brands like Hyatt and Hilton. Every time you book a two-night stay you’ll receive a hotel credit worth up to US$100 to spend on dining, spa and resort activities, as well as a complimentary room upgrade at check-in when available.
Enjoy airport lounge access in Australia and overseas
Start your trip in style with access to over 1,200 airport lounges in more than 130 countries, including unlimited entries to:
- Virgin Australia Lounges – located at select domestic terminals around Australia (you can bring in one guest for free)
- American Express Lounges – located in international terminals in Sydney, Melbourne and select overseas cities (guest access policies vary)
- The Centurion Lounge – Amex’s flagship lounges in major US cities and Hong Kong (two guests permitted)
- Priority Pass Lounges – Priority Pass is the world’s biggest lounge network, with a presence in more than 500 cities. Membership is complimentary for you and one Additional Card Member (you may bring in one guest each at no charge)
- Plaza Premium Lounges – Plaza Premium is an independent lounge operator with a strong presence in Asia. Access is complimentary for you and an Additional Card Member (you may bring up to 2 guests in each at no charge)
- Delta Sky Club Lounges when flying Delta (guest access rules vary).
Access Virgin Australia lounges before you fly
Enjoy many other lifestyle benefits
There are plenty of other perks to take advantage of – too many to list in full here – but the ones I like most are:
- up to 4 complimentary Additional Cards for family members or friends
- smartphone screen insurance, with up to $500 available twice a year for screen repairs (with a 10% excess)
- a $450 Travel Credit each year which is redeemable for flights, hotels, car hire or experiences through American Express Travel
- complimentary domestic and overseas travel insurance cover for you and your family (includes COVID-19 cover from 15 March 2022)
- up to $75 credit with Net-A-Porter and Mr Porter twice a year (enrolment required)
- complimentary digital subscription to The Australian Premium, including full digital access to The Australian and The Wall Street Journal
- invites to specially curated experiences that are not open to the general public – from sporting to fashion and dining
- access to sought-after events like music, theatre and film, including via pre-sale tickets, and exclusive lounges at selected events
- access to Platinum Concierge, which can arrange exclusive travel and dining experiences for you
- dining benefits at an array of stylish restaurants, such as priority access to reservations
- cash back and bonus points with top brands via Amex Offers
- Hertz Gold Plus Rewards and Avis Preferred memberships: enjoy savings on car rentals worldwide and complimentary upgrades when available
- save up to 20% on First and Business Class fares with some of the world’s leading airlines
- link your card with Apple Pay, Google Pay or Samsung Pay.
And finally, I do have to mention that the card looks great – it’s all-metal, and you’ll love the feeling of whipping it out!
The stylish all-metal Platinum Card
Plus 250,000 bonus points and a $500 credit
Receive 250,000 bonus Membership Rewards points and a $500 credit when you apply online via our partner link
by 28 February 2022, are approved and spend $5,000 on your new card within the first 3 months (new Card Members only).
250,000 Membership Rewards points can be converted to 125,000 frequent flyer points with almost all partner airlines or $1,250 of credit on your card account, as well as other uses.
If you choose to convert your points to airline frequent flyer points, you could fly to the USA in economy return or in business class one way with Qantas, or to Europe in economy return or one way in business class with Singapore Airlines (plus taxes and fees).
Use your points to experience Singapore Airlines business class
This offer is only available to new American Express Card Members. That means you must not have held a card issued directly by American Express Australia in the last 18 months. However, you are still eligible for this offer if you’re an Additional Card Member on someone else’s account.
The minimum income to qualify is $100,000 per annum.
Don’t miss this opportunity to get a top-quality card and a huge bonus – it ends soon.
Important: This article is not intended to suggest that you should apply for a credit product. You should seek independent, professional advice and consider your personal circumstances before deciding to apply for a credit product.
If you apply for a card via a link in this article, we may receive a commission from Amex. This income helps keep our site running, and we thank you for your support.
Read more in our Cards Disclosure.