Customer notice: we’ll receive a commission from Amex if you apply for a card via a link in this article (read more in our Credit Cards Disclosure). This income helps keep the site running, and we thank you for your support.
Great news for our readers: we’ve teamed up with American Express to bring you a huge offer of 90,000 bonus Velocity Points with the feature-packed American Express Velocity Platinum Card.
This is Amex’s top Velocity card and comes with the highest Velocity Points earn rate on spend, a complimentary Virgin Australia domestic flight each year, lounge entries, travel insurance and other handy perks for travellers.
Amex has increased the sign-up offer to 90,000 bonus points exclusively for people who apply through a handful of partners like us.
This offer isn’t available by going to Amex’s website directly (you’ll only get 75k points there). To get the full 90,000 bonus Velocity Points, you need to apply via our partner link here.
This offer ends very soon – on 14 November 2018.
Here’s an overview of the main card benefits and features.
1. Receive a very high points earn rate on spend
Card members earn 1.5 Velocity Points per dollar spent on everyday purchases – the highest Velocity Points earn rate in Australia.
You earn 2.5 Velocity Points per dollar spent with Virgin Australia and 0.5 Velocity Points per dollar spent with government bodies.
With hundreds of thousands of merchants accepting Amex in Australia, there’s no shortage of places where you can earn points with this card.
As a bonus, there’s no cap on how many points you can earn.
2. Take off with a complimentary flight every year
After your first card spend each year, you’ll be entitled to a complimentary Virgin Australia domestic economy return flight between selected cities.
There are lots of routes to choose from, as you can see in the table below.
|Adelaide||Alice Springs, Brisbane, Canberra, Coolangatta (Gold Coast), Melbourne, Sydney|
|Brisbane||Adelaide, Cairns, Canberra, Darwin, Emerald, Hamilton Island, Hobart, Mackay, Melbourne, Newcastle, Proserpine, Rockhampton, Sydney, Townsville|
|Hobart||Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney|
|Melbourne||Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Coolangatta (Gold Coast), Hamilton Island, Hobart, Launceston, Mildura, Maroochydore (Sunshine Coast), Newcastle, Sydney|
|Perth||Adelaide, Geraldton, Kalgoorlie, Melbourne, Sydney|
|Sydney||Adelaide, Albury, Ayers Rock (Uluru), Ballina/Byron, Brisbane, Canberra, Cairns, Coffs Harbour, Coolangatta (Gold Coast), Hamilton Island, Hervey Bay, Hobart, Launceston, Maroochydore (Sunshine Coast), Melbourne, Port Macquarie, Tamworth, Townsville|
|Other cities||Click here to see the routes from other cities.|
You can book the flight for yourself or any person you choose. And since this benefit is available every year, it offsets most or all of the $375 annual card fee.
3. Enjoy four airport lounge entries each year
Relax before your next flight in style, even if you’re flying economy.
Each card membership year, you’ll receive two passes to a Virgin Australia lounge. These passes will be linked to your Velocity membership card (not your Amex card), so just present that at the door to get in.
You’ll also get two entries each calendar year to the American Express Lounge at Sydney Airport international or Melbourne Airport international. To enter the lounge, simply flash your Amex card at the door.
Relax in a Virgin Australia lounge before you fly
If you’re travelling with a guest, they can use one of the passes to enjoy the lounge with you.
4. Earn 100 Velocity Status Credits when you spend $50,000 in a year
Attain elite status with Virgin Australia faster by receiving 100 status credits when you reach $50,000 of eligible spend in a card membership year.
Eligible spend is all spend by you and additional card members, except cash type purchases like travellers’ cheques and foreign currencies, and interest, fees and charges on the account.
This is a useful perk for frequent flyers chasing status, as you only need 250 status credits to attain silver (200 to keep it in subsequent years) or 500 status credits to attain gold (400 to keep it in later years).
The higher your status, the more perks you enjoy – like extra lounge passes when you hit silver and unlimited lounge access when you reach gold.
5. Receive complimentary travel insurance
When you pay for a return domestic or international flight with your card or use Velocity Points to book, you’ll receive insurance cover for you, your partner and dependent children 22 years of age or younger for:
- inconvenience (flight delays, cancellations or missed connections, and delayed luggage)
- medical emergency expenses
- damaged, destroyed, lost or stolen baggage, money or documents
- travel cancellation costs
- personal liability.
The insurance T&Cs are available to read here.
6. Enjoy a range of other card benefits
There are so many other perks to enjoy with this card, including:
- up to 4 complimentary additional cards for family members over 18 years of age – an easy way for your household to earn points faster
- up to 55 days interest-free on purchases (the interest rate thereafter is 20.74%)
- a 0% p.a. balance transfer offer for 12 months, with a one-off establishment fee of 1%
- Amex Offers: save money with regular discount offers with some of Australia’s biggest and best brands
- Amex Invites: access sought-after events like music, theatre and film, including via pre-sale tickets, and enjoy exclusive lounges for Amex card members at selected events.
Plus 90,000 bonus points
Receive 90,000 bonus Velocity Points when you apply online via our partner link by 14 November 2018, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new card within the first 3 months.
You could use these bonus points together with the points earned on spend to fly overseas with Virgin Australia or one of its partners, like Singapore Airlines. For example, you could fly:
- from Australia’s east coast to Los Angeles with Virgin Australia in economy return (89,600 points) or one way in super stylish business class (95,500 points)
- from anywhere in Australia to as far as Sri Lanka, India, China or Taiwan with Singapore Airlines in economy return (up to 84,000 points) or one way in business class (up to 78,000 points)
- two people could travel from Australia’s east coast to Bali or Fiji with Virgin Australia in economy return (89,200 points total) or one way in business class (99,000 points total).
Use your points to enjoy Virgin Australia business class
To be eligible for the introductory bonus points, you must not have held a credit card issued directly by Amex Australia in the last 18 months. Note that means you are eligible if:
- you’ve held an Amex card issued by a bank (i.e. Westpac, ANZ, CBA or NAB)
- you’ve held a David Jones Amex Card, or
- you’re an additional card member on someone else’s primary card account.
The minimum income to qualify is $65,000.
A reminder that this exclusive partner offer ends on 14 November 2018 and you need to apply via our partner link below to access it.
Important: This article is not intended to suggest that you should apply for a credit card. You should seek independent, professional advice and consider your personal circumstances before deciding to apply for a credit card.
If you apply for a card via a link in this article, we’ll receive a commission from Amex. This income helps keep our site running, and we thank you for your support. Read more in our Credit Cards Disclosure.