Customer notice: we may receive a commission from Amex if you apply for a card via a link in this article (read more in our Cards Disclosure). This income helps keep the site running, and we thank you for your support.
The Qantas American Express Ultimate Card is easily our top pick of Qantas cards on the market.
Not only does it let you accumulate points fast thanks to a very strong points earn rate on spend, but it also delivers a range of valuable travel perks. These include a $450 Qantas Travel Credit each year that fully offsets the card fee, four airport lounge entries per year, comprehensive travel insurance, and more.
It’s been a while since we last saw a big sign-up bonus with this card, so we’re very excited to partner with Amex to bring our readers a huge 100,000 bonus points offer!
Our readers will receive 100,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply online via our Amex partner link by Tuesday 2 April 2024, are approved, and spend $3,000 on your new card within the first 3 months (new Amex Card Members only).
Those points could take you to many overseas destinations with Qantas and partner airlines or be used to pay for a holiday package deal (more on that later).
Points don’t expire so long as you keep your Qantas Frequent Flyer account active by earning or redeeming at least one point every 18 months. Plus, reward bookings are refundable if your plans change.
Here’s an overview of the card benefits you can enjoy.
1. Earn piles of points and fly with top airlines
You’ll turbocharge your points balance by earning 1.25 Qantas Points per $1 spent on everyday purchases – one of the highest Qantas Points earn rates in Australia.
You’ll receive 2.25 Qantas Points per $1 spent on selected Qantas products and services in Australia, and 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent with government bodies.
After a total of 100,000 Qantas Points is earned in a calendar year, the everyday earn rate will change from 1.25 to 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent. (For Card Members who applied between 1 July 2023 – 9 January 2024, this change will come into effect from 10 July 2024.)
Hundreds of thousands of merchants accept Amex in Australia, and that number is growing, so there’s no shortage of places where you can earn points with this card.
There’s no limit on the number of points
You can use those points to fly with Qantas and an array of international partners, including top airlines like American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Emirates, Japan Airlines, Qatar Airways and more.
With so many partners to choose from, the whole world is within reach.
2. Take off with a $450 Qantas Travel Credit every year
You’ll get a $450 Qantas Travel Credit at the start of each card membership year, including when you first receive the card, which effectively offsets the card’s $450 annual fee.
The Qantas Travel Credit is redeemable for Qantas flights online at American Express Travel. It’s valid for 12 months and you can book any available flight in the future.
The Qantas Travel Credit is very flexible. While you need to use it in a single booking, that can be for one or more people, travelling one way or return, and on domestic or overseas flights. Plus, the booking can be in anyone’s name and doesn’t have to include you.
Eligible flights are standard Qantas flights with a QF flight number, so you’ll have plenty of routes to choose from.
Take off with a $450 Qantas Travel Credit every year
3. Enjoy four airport lounge entries each year
Relax before your next flight in style, even if you’re flying economy.
Each year, you’ll receive two Qantas lounge invitations valid for both domestic Qantas Clubs and Qantas International Lounges in Australia and overseas. These invitations will be activated in your Qantas Frequent Flyer account after your first card spend on selected Qantas products and services, such as flights.
You can use one of the Qantas lounge invites to bring in a guest, or transfer one or both invites to another Qantas Frequent Flyer member.
Relax in the lounge before you fly
You’ll also receive two entries each year to Amex’s exclusive The Centurion Lounge at Sydney Airport international or Melbourne Airport international, which are the two airports in Australia that have Amex lounges so far.
Simply present your physical card at the door to get in, and you may use one of the entries to bring in a guest (children under the age of 17 get in for free).
4. Travel securely with domestic and overseas travel insurance
You’ll receive comprehensive travel insurance cover when you pay for a domestic or international return flight with your card or use Qantas Points or the $450 Qantas Travel Credit to book.
This cover extends to your domestic partner and dependent children up to the age of 25 when they are travelling with you.
You’ll receive cover for:
- inconvenience – flight delays, cancellations or missed connections, and delayed luggage
- medical emergency expenses
- damaged, destroyed, lost or stolen baggage, money or documents
- trip cancellation and amendment costs
- personal liability
- COVID-19 related changes and costs.
If you’re currently paying for travel insurance and this cover meets your needs, you can save money by relying on it.
5. Enjoy a range of other benefits
There are many more perks to enjoy with this card, including:
- up to 4 complimentary Additional Cards for family members or friends – an easy way to earn points faster
- complimentary premium membership to Qantas Wine (worth $99) – get free delivery Australia-wide and earn 3 points per $1 spent
- up to 44 days interest free on purchases
- ‘buy now, pay later’ with American Express Plan It™ Instalments: pay off your card balance in equal monthly instalments with 0% interest and a fixed monthly fee
- use your card with Apple Pay, Google Pay or Samsung Pay
- Amex Offers: save money and earn bonus points via regular offers with top brands
- American Express Experiences: access sought-after events like music, theatre and film, including via pre-sale tickets, and enjoy exclusive lounges at selected events.
Plus a huge 100,000 bonus Qantas Points
Receive 100,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply online via our Amex partner link by 2 April 2024, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new card within the first 3 months (new Amex Card Members only).
With your bonus points and the points earned on initial spend, you could:
- fly as far as Los Angeles, Santiago or Tokyo in economy return with Qantas, costing 83,800 points from Australia’s east coast, or 102,400 points from Perth or Darwin, plus taxes and fees. (For longer trips like London or New York, you’ll need up to 110,400 points with Qantas or 132,400 points with partners).
- upgrade to business class multiple times – starting at 5,400 points domestically and 11,900 points on international flights, depending on distance and fare class booked. For example, an Economy to Business Class upgrade between Brisbane and Tokyo costs 54,500 points, while a Premium Economy to Business Class upgrade between Sydney and London costs 65,400 points.
- book a Qantas Holiday Package, where 100k Qantas Points covers around $1200 of the cost of a flight and hotel combo.
Use your points to enjoy business class comfort
The bonus points will also help you become a member of Qantas’ Points Club. Membership is automatic when you earn 150k points in a year, and benefits include two extra Qantas lounge passes, a $50 hotel voucher, a $50 wine voucher, the ability to earn Status Credits on reward bookings, and more.
This offer is only available to new American Express Card Members. That means you must not have held an American Express card in the last 18 months. However, you are eligible if you’re an Additional Card Member on someone else’s account (including a corporate account).
It’s very simple to apply for this card, including on mobile devices.
Don’t miss this opportunity to pick up a very rewarding card and a huge stack of Qantas Points.
Important: This article is not intended to suggest that you should apply for a card. You should seek independent, professional advice and consider your personal circumstances before deciding to apply for a card.
If you apply for a card via a link in this article, we may receive a commission from Amex. This income helps keep our site running, and we thank you for your support.
Read more in our Cards Disclosure.