Qantas is again running a Christmas promotion offering 5 Qantas Points per $1 for gift vouchers purchased in December. You can buy these for yourself and redeem them for flights over the next 12 months – substantially boosting the number of points you earn in the process.
Using this trick, you’ll still earn points and status credit for the flights themselves. It’s a great deal!
Here’s what you need to know.
- vouchers are available in $50 increments from $50 to $500, as well as $1000 or $2000
- vouchers are valid for 12 months
- you can change the name on the voucher when you redeem it (i.e. anyone can use it to fly – no one person is locked in)
- you need to nominate the number of people the voucher is for when you buy it and you can’t change the number of people when you redeem it
- there are no credit card fees for buying the voucher, and when you redeem it you won’t be charged a fee on paying any cost difference with your credit card – this means you actually save money, as Qantas normally charges a fee for credit card bookings
- gift vouchers are redeemable for one-way or return domestic or international Qantas flights, but not Jetstar flights
- only one voucher can be redeemed per booking
- the promotion ends on 31 December 2016.
This offer has only come around once a year in recent years (every December). I’ve used it to buy vouchers to cover my known flights for the year ahead.
Click here to go to the Qantas website to buy a voucher or find out more.