Customer notice: we may receive a commission from Amex if you apply for a card via a link in this article (read more in our Credit Cards Disclosure). This income helps keep the site running, and we thank you for your support.
American Express is offering 55,000 bonus Qantas Points with the Qantas American Express Ultimate Card: Amex’s most rewarding Qantas credit card.
This card comes with a stack of valuable benefits including a very strong Qantas Points earn rate on spend, a $450 annual Qantas Travel Credit, four airport lounge entries each year, travel insurance and much more.
Here’s an overview of the card features, with more details and a mobile-friendly application form available on Amex’s website here.
1. Receive a high points earn rate on spend
You’ll turbocharge your Qantas Points balance by earning 1.25 Qantas Points per dollar spent on everyday purchases – one of the highest Qantas Points earn rates in Australia.
You’ll receive 2.25 Qantas Points per $1 spent on selected Qantas products and services in Australia, and 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent with government bodies.
Hundreds of thousands of merchants accept Amex in Australia, and that number is growing, so there’s no shortage of places where you can earn points with this card.
As a bonus, there’s no cap on how many points you can earn.
2. Take off with a $450 Qantas Travel Credit every year
You’ll receive a $450 Qantas Travel Credit at the start of each card membership year, which effectively offsets the $450 annual card fee.
The Qantas Travel Credit is redeemable for Qantas flights online via Amex Travel and is very flexible. While you need to use it in a single booking, that can be for one or more people, travelling one way or return, and on domestic or overseas flights.
Eligible flights are standard Qantas flights with a QF flight number, so you’ll have plenty of routes to choose from.
And you don’t even need to use the Qantas Travel Credit for yourself – you can book a flight for anyone you choose.
3. Enjoy four airport lounge entries each year
Relax before your next flight in style, even if you’re flying in economy.
Each calendar year, you’ll receive two entries to the exclusive American Express Lounge at Sydney Airport international or Melbourne Airport international. Simply show your Amex card at the door to get in.
You’ll also receive two Qantas lounge passes (valid for both domestic Qantas Clubs and Qantas International Business Lounges) in each card membership year after your first card spend that year on selected Qantas products and services.
Selected Qantas products and services are Qantas flights with a QF flight number purchased with Qantas direct or some travel agents, and Qantas Frequent Flyer and Qantas Club membership fees.
You’ll receive an email from Qantas when the lounge passes are activated, which you can then manage (eg. assign to a flight booking or forward to another person) via this page.
Relax in the lounge before you fly
4. Receive complimentary domestic and overseas travel insurance
You’ll receive comprehensive travel insurance cover when you pay for a return flight with your card or use Qantas Points or the $450 Qantas Travel Credit to book.
The travel insurance covers you, your partner and dependent children 22 years of age or younger for:
- inconvenience (flight delays, cancellations or missed connections, and delayed luggage)
- medical emergency expenses up to $2,500,000
- damaged, destroyed, lost or stolen baggage, money or documents
- travel cancellation costs
- personal liability.
The full travel insurance T&Cs are available to view here.
5. Earn more points, save money and enjoy other lifestyle benefits
There are many other benefits to enjoy with this card, including:
- up to 4 free additional cards for family members over 18 years of age – an easy way for your household to earn points faster
- complimentary premium membership to the Qantas Wine service (worth $99) – one of my favourite ways to earn points
- up to 44 days interest free on purchases (the interest rate thereafter is 20.74%)
- a 0% balance transfer offer for 12 months, with a one-off establishment fee of 1%
- Refund and Purchase Protection for selected purchases
- Amex Offers: save money with regular discount offers, like the recent $50 back on spend with David Jones, Qantas and small merchants
- Amex Invites: access sought-after events like music, theatre and film, including via pre-sale tickets, and enjoy exclusive lounges at selected events.
Plus 55,000 bonus Qantas Points
Receive 55,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply online , are approved and spend $3,000 on your new card within the first 3 months.
You could use these bonus points, together with the points earned on initial spend, to travel overseas: like from Melbourne / Sydney to Bangkok, or from Brisbane to Tokyo, in economy return for 56,000 points plus taxes, or one way in stylish business class for 60,000 points plus taxes.
Use your points to fly Qantas business class
This bonus points offer is only available to new American Express Card Members. That means you must not have held a card issued directly by American Express Australia in the last 18 months. However, you are eligible for this offer if you’ve held an Amex card issued by a bank (i.e. Westpac, ANZ, CBA or NAB) or if you’re an additional Card Member on someone else’s account.
The minimum income to qualify is $65,000 per annum.
Important: This article is not intended to suggest that you should apply for a credit card. You should seek independent, professional advice and consider your personal circumstances before deciding to apply for a credit card.
If you apply for a card via a link in this article, we may receive a commission from Amex. This income helps keep our site running, and we thank you for your support.
Read more in our Credit Cards Disclosure.