When it comes to choosing the best Qantas credit card, our readers almost always pick the Qantas American Express Ultimate Card as their favourite.
And it’s easy to see why: the card is packed with valuable perks including a very strong points earn rate on spend, four airport lounge passes each year, comprehensive travel insurance, and an annual $450 travel credit that fully offsets the card fee – making getting this card a definite ‘no-brainer’.
It’s been a long time since the last big sign-up offer with this card, so we’re very excited to announce that we’ve partnered with Amex to offer our readers a massive 100,000 bonus Qantas Points – the largest bonus in 18 months!
Our readers will receive 100,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply online via our Amex partner link by Tuesday 2 April 2024, are approved, and spend $3,000 on your new card within the first 3 months (new Amex Card Members only).
Those points could take you to many overseas destinations with Qantas and partner airlines or be used to pay for a holiday package (more on that later).
If you’re thinking about travel, don’t miss this opportunity, because who knows when it will return.
Qantas Points don’t expire so long as you keep your Qantas Frequent Flyer account active by earning or redeeming at least one point every 18 months. Plus, points bookings are refundable if your plans change.
Here’s an overview of the benefits you can enjoy with this ‘ultimate’ Qantas card.
1. Earn piles of points and fly with top airlines
You’ll turbocharge your points balance by earning 1.25 Qantas Points per $1 spent on purchases – one of the highest earn rates in Australia.
You’ll receive 2.25 Qantas Points per $1 spent on selected Qantas products and services in Australia, and 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent with government bodies.
After a total of 100,000 Qantas Points is earned in a calendar year, the everyday earn rate will change from 1.25 to 1 Qantas Point per $1 spent.
Hundreds of thousands of merchants accept Amex in Australia, and that number is growing, so there’s no shortage of places where you can rake in the points with this card.
There’s also no cap on how many points you can earn.
You can use those points to fly with Qantas and an array of international partners, including top airlines like Emirates, Qatar Airways, American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines and more.
With so many partners to choose from, the whole world is within reach.
2. Take off with a $450 Qantas Travel Credit every year
You’ll receive a $450 Qantas Travel Credit at the start of each card membership year, including when you first receive the card, which effectively offsets the card’s $450 annual fee.
The travel credit is redeemable for Qantas flights online at American Express Travel. It’s valid for 12 months and you can book any available flight in the future (i.e. a travel credit issued now would be valid to early 2025 for travel to early 2026).
The travel credit is also very flexible. While you need to use it in a single booking, that can be for one or more people, travelling one way or return, and on domestic or overseas flights. Plus, the booking can be in anyone’s name and doesn’t have to include you.
Eligible flights are all standard Qantas flights with a QF flight number, so you’ll have plenty of routes to choose from.
Take off with a Qantas Travel Credit every year
And here’s a tip for how you could use two consecutive travel credits to shave $900 off a single trip: just before a travel credit expires at the end of your card membership year, use it to book a one-way flight, then when you get the next travel credit a few days later, use it to book the return journey. Or use the first travel credit to book a return fare for yourself and the second travel credit for a companion. Easy!
3. Enjoy four airport lounge entries each year
Relax before your next flight in style, even if you’re flying economy.
Each year, you’ll receive two Qantas lounge invitations valid for both domestic Qantas Clubs and Qantas International Business Lounges in Australia and overseas.
These invitations will be activated in your Qantas Frequent Flyer account after your first card spend on selected Qantas products and services, such as flights.
You can use one of the Qantas lounge invites to bring in a guest, or transfer one or both invites to another Qantas Frequent Flyer member.
Relax in the lounge before you fly
You’ll also receive two entries each year to the exclusive American Express Centurion Lounge at Sydney Airport international or Melbourne Airport international, which are the two airports in Australia that have Amex lounges so far.
Simply present your card at the door to get in, and you may use one of the entries to bring in a guest (children under the age of 17 get in for free).
4. Travel securely with domestic and overseas travel insurance
You’ll receive comprehensive travel insurance cover when you pay for a domestic or international return flight with your card or use Qantas Points or the $450 Qantas Travel Credit to book.
This cover extends to your domestic partner and dependent children up to the age of 25 when they are travelling with you.
You’ll receive cover for:
- inconvenience (flight delays, cancellations or missed connections, and delayed luggage)
- medical emergency expenses
- damaged, destroyed, lost or stolen baggage, money or documents
- travel cancellation costs
- personal liability
- COVID-related trip change and cancellation costs.
If you’re currently paying for travel insurance and this cover meets your needs, you can save money by relying on it.
5. Earn more points, save money and enjoy lifestyle benefits
There are many more perks to enjoy with this card, including:
- up to 4 free Additional Cards for family members or friends – an easy way to earn points faster
- complimentary premium membership to Qantas Wine (worth $99) – get free delivery Australia-wide and earn 3 points per $1 spent
- up to 44 days interest free on purchases
- ‘buy now, pay later’ with American Express Plan It™ Instalments: pay off your card balance in equal monthly instalments with 0% interest and a fixed monthly fee
- use your card with Apple Pay, Google Pay or Samsung Pay
- Amex Offers: save money and earn bonus points via regular offers with top brands
- American Express Experiences: access sought-after events like music, theatre and film, including via pre-sale tickets, and enjoy exclusive lounges at selected events.
Plus a huge 100,000 bonus Qantas Points
Receive 100,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply online via our Amex partner link by 2 April 2024, are approved and spend $3000 on your new card within the first 3 months (new Card Members only).
If you need help to meet the minimum spend, you could buy some supermarket gift cards to use on groceries later in the year, manually pre-pay bills or get free Additional Cards for family or friends to use.
With your bonus points and the points earned on initial spend, you could:
- fly from eastern Australia to Los Angeles, Tokyo or Santiago with Qantas, costing up to 83,800 points in economy return or 108,400 points in business class one-way (plus taxes and fees)
- fly from Perth to London, Rome or Paris with Qantas, costing 102,400 points in economy return or 126,500 points in business class one-way, plus taxes and fees. (From eastern Australia, that rises to 110,400 points / 144,600 points respectively)
- upgrade to business class multiple times – starting at 5,400 points domestically and 11,900 points on international flights, depending on distance and fare class booked. For example, an Economy to Business Class upgrade between Brisbane and Tokyo costs 54,500 points, while a Premium Economy to Business Class upgrade between Sydney and London costs 65,400 points.
- pay for a Qantas Holiday Package, where 100k Qantas Points covers around $1200 of the cost of a flight and hotel combo.
Use your points to enjoy business class comfort…
… or cover approx. $1200 of a holiday package
The bonus points will also help you become a member of Qantas’ Points Club. Membership is automatic when you earn 150k points in a year, and benefits include two extra Qantas lounge passes, a $50 hotel voucher, a $50 wine voucher, the ability to earn Status Credits on reward bookings, and more.
This offer is only available to new American Express Card Members. That means you must not have held an American Express card in the last 18 months. However, you are eligible if you’re an Additional Card Member on someone else’s account (including a corporate account).
Amex no longer specifies a minimum income to apply for this card.
It’s very simple to apply, including on mobile devices.
We’re delighted to partner with Amex to bring our readers this huge offer. We may not see it again for a while, so don’t miss out – you could be booking a holiday in no time!
American Express is one of our valued partners. If you apply for this card, we may receive a commission from Amex, which helps keep our site running. Thank you for the support!