Customer notice: we may receive a commission from Amex if you apply for a card via a link in this article (read more in our Cards Disclosure). This income helps keep the site running, and we thank you for your support.
The Qantas American Express Ultimate Card is our top pick of Qantas cards in Australia. It’s packed with valuable perks including a very high points earn rate on spend, an annual $450 Qantas Travel Credit, four airport lounge entries each year, travel insurance, and more.
Right now, new American Express Card Members can also receive 55,000 bonus Qantas Points when they apply online , are approved and spend $3,000 or more on the card within the first 3 months.
Here’s an overview of the card benefits you can enjoy, with more details and a mobile-friendly application form available here.
1. Earn piles of points on everyday spend
You’ll turbocharge your points balance by earning 1.25 Qantas Points per $1 spent on everyday purchases – one of the highest Qantas Points earn rates in Australia.
You’ll receive 2.25 Qantas Points per $1 spent on selected Qantas products and services in Australia, and 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent with government bodies.
Hundreds of thousands of merchants accept Amex in Australia, and that number is growing, so there’s no shortage of places where you can rake in the points with this card.
There’s also no cap on how many points you can earn.
2. Take off with a $450 Qantas Travel Credit every year
You’ll get a $450 Qantas Travel Credit at the start of each card membership year (including when you first receive the card), which effectively offsets the card’s $450 annual fee.
The Qantas Travel Credit is redeemable for Qantas flights online at American Express Travel. It’s valid for 12 months and you can book any available flight in the future (i.e. up to a further 12 months ahead).
The Qantas Travel Credit is also very flexible. While you need to use it in a single booking, that can be for one or more people, travelling one way or return, and on domestic or overseas flights. Plus, the booking can be in anyone’s name and doesn’t have to include you.
Eligible flights are standard Qantas flights with a QF flight number, so you’ll have plenty of routes to choose from.
Take off with a Qantas Travel Credit every year
3. Enjoy four airport lounge entries each year
Relax before your next flight in style, even if you’re flying economy.
Each year, you’ll receive two Qantas lounge invitations valid for both domestic Qantas Clubs and Qantas International Lounges in Australia and overseas (once international travel resumes). These invitations will be activated in your Qantas Frequent Flyer account after your first card spend on selected Qantas products and services, such as flights booked directly with Qantas.
You can use one of the lounge invites to bring in a guest, or transfer one or both invites to another Qantas Frequent Flyer member.
Relax in the lounge before you fly
You’ll also receive two entries each year to the exclusive American Express Lounge at Sydney Airport international or Melbourne Airport international (temporarily closed due to travel restrictions). Simply present your card at the door to get in. You may use one of the entries to bring in a guest.
4. Travel securely with domestic and overseas travel insurance
You’ll receive comprehensive travel insurance cover when you pay for a return flight with your card or use Qantas Points or the $450 Qantas Travel Credit to book.
This cover extends to your domestic partner and dependent children up to the age of 22 when they are travelling with you (see more on page 9 of the policy document).
You’ll receive cover for:
- inconvenience (flight delays, cancellations or missed connections, and delayed luggage)
- medical emergency expenses
- damaged, destroyed, lost or stolen baggage, money or documents
- travel cancellation costs
- personal liability.
If you’re currently paying for travel insurance and this cover meets your needs, you can save money by relying on it.
5. Enjoy a range of other benefits
There are so many other perks to enjoy with this card, including:
- up to 4 free additional cards for family members or friends – an easy way for you to earn points faster
- complimentary premium membership to Qantas Wine (worth $99) – get free delivery on all orders and earn 3 points per $1
- a complimentary year of Calm Premium membership – the award-winning sleep, meditation and relaxation app, valued at $79.99. Plus, get 50% off the following year if you choose to continue. Ends 31 October 2020
- up to 44 days interest free on purchases (the interest rate thereafter is 20.74%)
- ‘buy now pay later’ with American Express Plan It: pay off your card balance in equal monthly instalments with 0% interest (fees apply)
- use your card with Apple Pay, Google Pay or Samsung Pay
- Amex Offers: save money with regular discount offers with top brands
- Amex Invites: access sought-after events like music, theatre and film, including via pre-sale tickets, and enjoy exclusive lounges at selected events (when they resume).
Plus 55,000 bonus Qantas Points
Receive 55,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply online via our partner link , are approved and spend $3,000 on your new card within the first 3 months (new Card Members only).
You could use these bonus points, together with the points earned on spend, to travel overseas when borders reopen: like from Melbourne or Sydney to Bangkok, or from Brisbane to Tokyo, in economy return for 56,000 points plus taxes and fees.
This bonus point offer is only available to new American Express Card Members. That means you must not have held a card issued directly by American Express Australia in the last 18 months. However, you are still eligible for this offer if you’ve held an Amex card issued by a bank (i.e. Westpac, ANZ, CBA or NAB) or if you’re an additional Card Member on someone else’s account.
The minimum income to qualify is $65,000 per annum.
Important: This article is not intended to suggest that you should apply for a card. You should seek independent, professional advice and consider your personal circumstances before deciding to apply for a card.
If you apply for a card via a link in this article, we may receive a commission from Amex. This income helps keep our site running, and we thank you for your support.
Read more in our Cards Disclosure.