Great news, points lovers: our favourite card for earning Qantas Points – the Qantas American Express Ultimate Card
– once again comes with 100,000 bonus points for new Card Members!
100k Qantas Points is enough for up to 12 economy flights or 5 business class flights within Australia, or you could enjoy a return economy trip to many overseas destinations when international travel resumes (more on that later).
Qantas Points don’t expire so long as you keep your Qantas Frequent Flyer account active by earning or redeeming at least one point every 18 months. Plus, points bookings are fully refundable if your plans change, subject to a cancellation fee of just 6,000 points per person (currently waived).
The Qantas Ultimate Card is our top pick of Qantas cards in Australia. It’s packed with valuable perks including a very high points earn rate on spend, an annual $450 Qantas Travel Credit, four airport lounge entries each year, travel insurance, and much more.
Here’s an overview of the card benefits you can enjoy, with more details and a mobile-friendly application form available here.
1. Earn piles of points on everyday spend
You’ll turbocharge your points balance by earning 1.25 Qantas Points per $1 spent on everyday purchases – one of the highest Qantas Points earn rates in Australia.
You’ll receive 2.25 Qantas Points per $1 spent on selected Qantas products and services in Australia, and 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 spent with government bodies.
Hundreds of thousands of merchants accept Amex in Australia, and that number is growing, so there’s no shortage of places where you can earn points with this card.
There’s also no cap on how many points you can earn.
2. Take off with a $450 Qantas Travel Credit every year
You’ll receive a $450 Qantas Travel Credit at the start of each card membership year (including when you first receive the card), which effectively offsets the card’s $450 annual fee.
The Qantas Travel Credit is redeemable for Qantas flights online at American Express Travel. It’s valid for 12 months and you can book any available flight in the future (i.e. up to a further 12 months ahead).
The Qantas Travel Credit is also very flexible. While you need to use it in a single booking, that can be for one or more people, travelling one way or return, and on domestic or overseas flights. Plus, the booking can be in anyone’s name and doesn’t have to include you.
Eligible flights are standard Qantas flights with a QF flight number, so you’ll have plenty of routes to choose from.
Take off with a Qantas Travel Credit every year
3. Enjoy four airport lounge entries each year
Relax before your next flight in style, even if you’re flying economy.
Each year, you’ll receive two Qantas lounge invitations valid for both domestic Qantas Clubs and Qantas International Lounges in Australia and overseas. These invitations will be activated in your Qantas Frequent Flyer account after your first card spend on selected Qantas products and services, such as flights.
You can use one of the lounge invites to bring in a guest, or transfer one or both invites to another Qantas Frequent Flyer member.
Relax in the lounge before you fly
You’ll also receive two entries each year to the exclusive American Express Lounge at Sydney Airport international or Melbourne Airport international, which are the two airports in Australia that have Amex lounges so far (temporarily closed). Simply present your card at the door to get in, and you may use one of the entries to bring in a guest.
4. Travel securely with domestic and overseas travel insurance
You’ll receive comprehensive travel insurance cover when you pay for a return flight with your card or use Qantas Points or the $450 Qantas Travel Credit to book.
This cover extends to your domestic partner and dependent children up to the age of 22 when they are travelling with you (see more on page 9 of the policy document).
You’ll receive cover for:
- inconvenience (flight delays, cancellations or missed connections, and delayed luggage)
- medical emergency expenses
- damaged, destroyed, lost or stolen baggage, money or documents
- travel cancellation costs
- personal liability.
If you’re currently paying for travel insurance and this cover meets your needs, you can save money by relying on it.
5. Enjoy a range of other benefits
There are many more perks to enjoy with this card, including:
- up to 4 free additional cards for family members or friends – an easy way to earn points faster
- complimentary premium membership to Qantas Wine (worth $99) – get free delivery Australia-wide and earn 3 points per $1 spent
- complimentary 12-month subscription to Chris Hemsworth’s health and fitness app Centr (worth $119.99 – join here)
- up to 44 days interest free on purchases (the interest rate thereafter is 20.74%)
- ‘buy now, pay later’ with American Express Plan It™ Instalments: pay off your card balance in equal monthly instalments with 0% interest and a fixed monthly fee
- use your card with Apple Pay, Google Pay or Samsung Pay
- Amex Offers: save money with regular discount offers with top brands
- American Express Experiences: access sought-after events like music, theatre and film, including via pre-sale tickets, and enjoy exclusive lounges at selected events.
Plus 100,000 bonus Qantas Points
Receive 100,000 bonus Qantas Points when you apply online via our partner link
by 5 April 2021, are approved and spend $3,000 on your new card within the first 3 months (new Card Members only).
These bonus points, together with the points earned on initial spend, are enough to fly domestically with Qantas up to 12 times in economy or 5 times in business class, depending on distance (plus taxes and fees). For example:
- short flights like Sydney-Melbourne or Sydney-Brisbane cost 8,000 points in economy or 18,400 in business class
- medium-distance flights like Melbourne-Brisbane or Adelaide-Brisbane cost 12,000 points in economy or 27,600 in business class
- long flights like Perth-East Coast cost 18,000 points in economy and 41,500 in business class.
Once overseas travel resumes, you’ll also have enough points to fly:
- from eastern Australia to Los Angeles, Santiago or Johannesburg with Qantas in economy return (costing 83,800 Qantas Points plus taxes and fees)
- from Perth to London with Qantas in economy return (102,400 Qantas Points plus taxes and fees)
- in super-stylish business class one-way from eastern Australia to Tokyo with Qantas or from Perth to Dubai with Emirates (costing up to 90,000 Qantas Points plus taxes and fees).
You’ll also be within close reach of the longest journeys like Sydney-London or Perth-New York, which cost 110,400 Qantas Points plus taxes and fees in economy return when flying with Qantas and/or American Airlines.
Use your points to experience Qantas business class
This offer is only available to new American Express Card Members. That means you must not have held a card issued directly by American Express Australia in the last 18 months. However, you are still eligible for this offer if you’ve held an Amex card issued by a bank (i.e. Westpac, ANZ, CBA or NAB) or if you’re an additional Card Member on someone else’s account.
The minimum income to qualify is $65,000 per annum.
This generous deal is only available for a limited time, so don’t miss out.
Important: This article is not intended to suggest that you should apply for a card. You should seek independent, professional advice and consider your personal circumstances before deciding to apply for a card.
If you apply for a card via a link in this article, we may receive a commission from Amex. This income helps keep our site running, and we thank you for your support.
Read more in our Cards Disclosure.