St George Bank has two big sign-up offers for its highly-regarded Amplify Visa cards, with up to a huge 90,000 bonus Qantas Points or Amplify Points on the table.
You can get 60,000 bonus Qantas or Amplify Points with the St George Amplify Platinum card when you spend $3,000 on your new card within 90 days of card approval. This card costs just $99 a year and comes with handy perks, and it’s a great choice if you’re looking for a very low-fee Visa card.
In fact, that’s the biggest bonus I can recall in years for a sub-$100 annual fee card.
You can also get a massive 90,000 bonus Qantas or Amplify Points with the St George Amplify Signature card when you spend $5,000 on your new card within 90 days of card approval. This card has an annual fee of $279 and comes with high-end benefits to match.
I think both these cards are great to hold (alongside a high-earning AMEX card, if possible) so you can maximise the points you earn on your everyday spending.
Here are some of the great perks you’ll enjoy with the St George Amplify Platinum and Signature cards.
Enjoy a range of valuable perks with either card
With both cards you receive these benefits:
- generous points earning rates on your spending (uncapped):
- 0.5 Qantas Points or 1 Amplify Point per dollar on the Platinum card
- 0.75 Qantas Points or 1.5 Amplify Points per dollar on the Signature card
- complimentary overseas travel insurance for you, your spouse and dependent children, covering you for: medical expenses; lost or damaged personal property; and transport costs. This can save you a lot of money when you travel.
- up to 12 months’ extended warranty on purchases (on top of the manufacturer’s warranty)
- one free supplementary card for a person 16 years or older, which can help you turbocharge your points balance.
The Signature card also offers these great perks:
- a 10% Birthday Bonus: on your birthday each year, receive a 10% bonus on all points you earned on spending over the previous 12 months (excluding any bonus points) – that gives you an effective points earn rate of 0.825 frequent flyer points per dollar, which is among the best in Australia
- airport lounge passes: relax before your next flight in style with two Qantas Club or Priority Pass lounge entries each year (I’d value this benefit at $100 at least)
- access to the Visa Luxury Hotels Program, which offers automatic room upgrades, late checkouts, complimentary breakfasts and more great perks at participating hotels
- up to 4 months’ purchase insurance cover on purchases made with your card, protecting you against theft, loss or damage.
If you can use the lounge passes, I think the Signature card is a fantastic deal and that would be my pick of the two (but both cards a great).
Earn either Qantas Points or Amplify Points
With both cards, you choose whether to earn Qantas Points or Amplify Points.
Qantas Points are the most popular airline currency in Australia and this the obvious choice if you’re a loyal Qantas Frequent Flyer.
Amplify Points are quite flexible and can be transferred to Virgin Australia, Singapore Airlines and Malaysia Airlines, with the transfer ratio being 2:1.
Because of this transfer ratio, the Amplify Points sign-up bonus converts to 30,000 usable airline points with the Platinum card or 45,000 with the Signature card. That’s half the Qantas Points bonus, so my choice would be to opt into earning Qantas Points initially (you can always change later).
60,000 Qantas Points can take you from Sydney to Bangkok in economy return (56,000 points) or one way in style in business class (60,000 points). 90,000 points gets you even further, for example Melbourne to Los Angeles in economy return (90,000 points).
Use your points to fly Qantas business class
How to qualify for the bonus points and apply
Here are some of the key terms you need to know:
- The low-fee Platinum card has a minimum income of $35,000.
- St George doesn’t publish the minimum income required for the high-end Signature card but the minimum credit limit you need to be able to qualify for is $15,000 (so you’ll need a good income).
- Existing St. George / BankSA / Bank of Melbourne customers who currently hold an Amplify Platinum or Amplify Signature card, or who have held one in the last 12 months, are not eligible for this offer. Switches, upgrades, or customers accessing employee benefits are also ineligible.
- Eligible purchases for earning points and meeting the minimum spend do not include BPAY, fees, cash, cash equivalent transactions, refunds and balance transfers debited from the card account.
- This promotion may be varied or withdrawn at any time and is not available in conjunction with any other promotion.
Don’t miss out on these excellent opportunities. You could be using the bonus points to book a 2018 holiday in no time!
To read more about these cards and apply on any device (including mobile):
We are not a credit services provider and we are not suggesting that you apply for this credit product. You should seek independent, professional advice and consider your personal circumstances before making a decision to apply for a credit product.
If you decide to apply for one of the above cards via the links provided, we will receive a small commission from St George. This income helps keep the blog running, and we thank you for your support.